Monday, July 19, 2010

Tres Cosas Nuevas Para el Nino!


My son displayed a wonderful exhibition in "adventuresome" eating yesterday. I needed to push a meal from the market-to the kitchen-to the table in about an hour as our Kansas family was attempting to push back to Kansas.

While I love to mess around and concoct all kinds of things when I take the time to do it, the reality is, when it comes to feeding my family, the simpler the better.

The shish kebab hails from the middle east, but in one way or another, it's all over the world now. I'd love to talk about how I created a magical sauce for dipping or how I created a miracle marinade to prepare the skewers to perfection. Instead, I gathered some chicken, steak, green peppers, red peppers, and red onions. Not exactly far-reaching, rare cuisine. After adding appropriate amounts of salt, pepper and olive oil, I was off to my flame. Dog begging by my side, this grill-off took all of about 10 minutes.

The simplest dish pleased the most skeptical of eaters, namely my son. It's amazing what a live flame will do the taste and texture of the peppers and onions. The sweetness therein was enough to sell my 10 yr-old sweet-tooth. I've never seen him eat those vegetables and certainly not without some serious coaxing and deception. Three new things for the boy to eat besides chef boyardee. Not that we won't go right back to that in a pinch!

A big hit off the wilsongrille. Who knew? Kebabs.

I'm intentionally leaving out the part where my 8 year-old twin nieces weren't so impressed.

One success at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment