Monday, July 26, 2010

Twitter Food Challenge #1 of many (hopefully)


I'm still eating leftovers from this weekend's Twitter Food Challenge with Vanessa. As I stated in the previous post, the fun was not only in the cooking but in the 'knowing'. Knowing somebody else was creating and feasting with her family on the east coast with the whole 'event' in mind was a lot of fun. I want to get others on board with this.

Obviously, cooking is not for everyone. Some of us just do it (or not) to get something from the fridge/shelf to the stomach. That's cool. I'm not into golf. I've been told I have to be to be a good businessman. I'll need to find another way. But, similarly to golf, cooking can be this never-ending, life-long hobby. To be realistic, many meals, if not most, through the week for families just need to be about getting the job done:

Kids fed. Things other than twinkies. Nuff said.

However, there's time to invest in this thing if you actually want to. I spent an hour hitting up two markets to get my ingredients: Tony's for the meat and some great Udi's bread, followed by a stop at Sunflower

Once I got home, i probably spent another hour in prep/cooking time...maybe 1 1/2 hours tops. So, all-in-all: 3 hours. That's 3 hours that could have been spent mowing the lawn, surfing the web, watching some lame show on tv, flossing, shaving my head, watching paint dry, you get the idea. Seriously, it was the best 3 hours i could have spent. Real therapy.

Do you know how to de-bone a full chicken leg???? Neither do I. I still don't. But I did it to 6 of them Saturday. You can google anything now, obviously. Thanks google for the you-tube video and thanks God for your protection (this time), allowing me to keep all my fingers in tact. Two years ago I nearly lopped my index finger off while trying to use a very sharp bread knife to custom fit a dozen roses in a vase. It was Valentine's night. We spent a very romantic evening in the ER. I digress.

All-in-all, I am learning to enjoy things. That probably sounds really strange to many of you. This blog is entitled Peckish for two reasons. The second part of the definition just seemed to fit my state of being for most of the last decade. I'm hoping this endeavor can help. You probably didn't know someone could be "crotchety" in their 20s and 30s, did you? It's very possible.

1 comment:

  1. in light of some of your previous posts about slowing down sitting on the front porch, etc., i suggest you also include in your cooking challenges some slow cooking old fashioned dishes that perhaps take several hours to simmer...just sit and simmer... no worries...in a few hours it will all be done! ;-) e.g., beans, stew, chili, pot roasts, sauerbraten to name a few--maybe wait for cooler weekend weather!

    ReplyDelete